Saturday, December 20, 2008

While most of the Indian community is led on by a horoscope check before considering a prospective match, there is yet another pre-marital test – HIV

Another eye opening fact which asks for more than just mandating pre-marital tests is about women “who get infected not at the time of marriage but after the marriage”, reveals Tripti about the kind of cases that have increased in the recent past. She continues, “May be the tests have been conducted at the time of the marriage but what about complacency that sets in after conducting them once.”

It would, of course, be unfair to conclude that such instances have started to occur recently; only, private details are being discussed openly now. Mrs Salvi recalls, “When I got to know of my infection, I completely denied it. I went for the tests again and was frustrated for months. Doctors counselled me. I had to come to terms with it and couldn’t do much apart from getting mad at my husband who died soon thereafter. But slowly, I took control of my life and started working with an NGO. However, I was fortunate to find Mr Salvi who was in love with me from days before my first marriage. Despite knowing my positive status he married me. We take all precautions but still I am scared for him.” Mr Salvi agrees to have taken a risk but feels that the bond of their love transcends their bodies and is prepared for whatever happens.

But not all find such love and support. “Many positive people, to avoid rejection after any such mandate, would obtain a fake certificate which is not at all difficult in a country like India”, asserts Tripti who would rather want awareness to be created about the tests and counselling support from the government so that people get themselves tested voluntarily. Mulling over the intention of such acts she continues, “And why wouldn’t they? Would law guarantee post-test confidentiality? Unless the government can guarantee that, the law may do more harm than good.”....Continue

No comments: